Blackfriars Tower, London (South Bank) – Beetham Organization
Blackfriars Tower is an awesome skyscraper being developed by The Beetham Organisation. This £1 billion property will be located on the South Thames Riverbank at Blackfriars Bridge, close to the Tate Modern.
It is a stunning piece of design by the architect Ian Simpson. Here are some computer generated images and videos of the property – construction commences in 2009.
Computer Generated Video
This CGI video is a great visual aid as to where Blackfriars Tower will be situated in London’s South Bank.
Computer Generated Images
Ian Simpson Design Philosophy Presentation
This PDF (70mb) gives an incredible glimpse of the design philosophy and process behind Blackfriar’s, with documented shape changes and incredible attention to detail. It also has a number of other CGI image views of this tower that aren’t shown above.
Blackfriars Tower Overview
Here are current details of the scheme. Planning has been granted by Southwark Council (subject to final sign off by Government Office London) for the erection of 2 buildings comprising a 52 storey glass tower (170m) and a public plaza.
The mixed used scheme totaling 76,060 m2 (818,405 sq. ft) includes:
- A 261 bedroom super luxury hotel operated by Jumeirah (not finalised) on the first part of the tower (35,348 m2-380,344 sq. ft)
- 96 flats (26,864 m2-289,056 sq.ft) comprising 64 luxury residences which are located on the top floors of the building offering spectacular views of London. In addition there are 32 flats of intermediate housing located at plaza level in a separate building
- A public viewing gallery at the top floor of the tower (993 m2-10,684 sq.ft)
- Restaurants (372 m2-4,002 sq.ft)
- Retail space (46 m2-495 sq.ft)
- Flexible Class A use (493 m2-5,304 sq.ft)
- Ancillary plant, servicing and car parking (11,935 m2-128,420 sq.ft)
The public plaza will be provided at ground floor level at the base of the tower with retail, a cinema and A3 use. The construction will commence early 2009 and will take 4 years to complete.
Current site – 2008
Further Reading / Credit
You’re currently reading “Blackfriars Tower, London (South Bank) – Beetham Organization”.
- Tuesday, September 30th, 2008
- Simon Page
- Design Inspiration
- Artwork (75)
- Design Inspiration (33)
- Design Resources (10)
- Excel (12)
- Filemaker (5)
- Gadgets (26)
- Music (3)
- Photography (3)
- Photoshop (1)
- Press (7)
- Random (5)
- Software (4)
- Video Gaming (15)
- Wallpaper (6)
- Album Cover Artwork Inspiration
- Creative Movie Poster Inspiration
- Criss Cross - iPad and iPhone Wallpaper
- Design Inspiration | typography posters
- Exclusive iPad Wallpaper
- Futurism - Limited Edition Prints
- Geometric Silk Scarves
- Geometric Silk Scarves #2
- Inspiring Gallery of Video Game Concept Art
- International Year of Astronomy 2009 Posters
- International Year of Chemistry 2011 Prints
- iPad HD Retina Wallpaper